Throughout this post I will be highlighting things that are good and bad about the server, what I feel is helping and what I feel is holding it back.
- Great alternative to gold for a currency system
- Available through methods other than mining such as the economy
- Only available to mine at spawn, so most early warps have to be pretty close which makes it a lot easier to get found
Rupees, or any currency system is a great idea. I like the fact that they are available through multiple methods, however they do restrict players to an extent which can be annoying.
- The interaction between score and getting artifacts is pretty nice
- Only available at spawn
- Every method of getting them requires tons of grinding
- Not really a great representation of who the best players on the server are, as you get rewarded for playing when there's noone on rather than mining when there are people on
Allow you to get artifacts which is pretty nice, however they are only available at spawn and are very grind oriented.
The warps system:
- Adds an incentive to mine rupees at spawn
- Honestly having to manage all the warps is just really annoying, even if you have enough rupees to make them all accessible from each other
- Restricts players with low amounts of rupees to small areas of the map, making them extremely easy to track
Makes rupees more valuable. Managing warps can get annoying, but this isn't really that big of a problem. Restricting players with low amounts of rupees with one area of the map however doesn't really improve their experience imo.
- Adds a new element to the game
- Artifacts in the same tiers have varying worth (Wings of Hermes vs. Ancient worm poop for example)
- Many artifacts are still glitched
- You have to kill yourself to get new artifacts from previous tiers
The idea of artifacts is really awesome, however I think they need to be re-balanced or reassigned tiers based on their actual usefulness. Another annoyance is that to get another artifact from the same tier you essentially have to kill yourself, reset your score and start over. An alternative method would be nice.
- Makes the objective harder
- Offer rewards when killed
- Some are bugged and have varying levels of health
- Re-aggro low score players after killing them when they had high score
- Can aggro from outside of low render distances (More of a personal problem I guess)
- Extremely hard to deal with in the 1.9 combat system
- Reset your score completely
It is good that deaths make the objective harder and offer rewards when killed, however their health is not consistent and 1.9 makes them extremely hard to deal with. An idea to sort of make score not as annoying to keep up would be having them reset a high percentage of your score instead of all of it. For example if you were killed by a death you would lost 75% of your score, but say a player killed you, you'd lose all of it.
- Protects against x-rayers to an extent
- Lot of customizeable perms
- The "You were stuck so we teleported you away" thing when trying to enter a structure is very annoying, and allows you to glitch out of fights rather easily
Overall I really like the idea of structures as they protect against x-rayers and offer you a security net. The glitch I mentioned can be abused pretty easily though, so hopefully it is changed.
1.9 Swing Speed:
- Makes deaths extremely hard to deal with
- Fights last 10+ minutes, even in 2v1/3v1
- Equal geared fights always last until armor breaks, which diminishes the value of killing a player
- Once nether/end are open it will be almost impossible to kill someone with pots and e-pearls
I think moving the swing speed up a bit would be beneficial. The only way to really kill someone in a short period of time right now is aggroing a death mid fight. Fights last forever and armor always breaks, making it even less satisfying to kill someone, and in the future with potions anyone in op will be unkillable essentially.
I know hclewk is a big proponent of 1.9 pvp, and I read his tweet about how if you don't like 1.9 combat you haven't given it a chance yet. In my case I have logged in multiple days of in-game time on single player/smp servers/Mcrpg in 1.9. For single player and smp servers not based around combat I believe the update is actually great, but for servers where combat is encouraged it honestly just makes the game annoying to play. I'm not suggesting a huge change such as resetting to 1.8 hit speed, but maybe upping it a bit so that certain things are just less inconvenient.
I think the server has great potential, but simple annoyances are holding it back. With a few "quality of life" updates I believe the server can not only run better, but attract a larger audience.